Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Bahamas

I apologize for the lengthy post but three days in the Bahamas is bound to come with a lot of commentary and pictures!

Our first stop in the Bahamas was Freeport on Grand Bahama Island. We had intentions of going to the Lucayan National Park but fate had other plans for us :) Our taxi, which had twelve people in it, ran out of gas which was a humorous situation, at least to me. For some reason I just could not stop giggling. Our taxi driver was such a cute older gentleman and I don't know, it just seemed like we were in a scene out of a romantic comedy or something. Luckily after a couple of stops we were up and running again. The other patrons of the taxi stopped at the Lucayan Beach and because of our luck and the fact the National Park was much further we decided the beach was a good stop for us too!

Upon getting to the beach, we saw this sign. AB has a good friend from college named Billy Joe so we had to take a picture!

This is a view of the ocean from the beach. The ocean was beautiful, the beach not so much. There were lots of weeds and trash! I don't understand why people do not take care of public beaches. Who can leave their trash at such a beautiful place?

The second stop was Norwegian's private island. Here is a view of the island from our room.

They recently pumped a lot of $$ into the island to make it nicer and I thought it was gorgeous! Here are some pics of the beach/ocean from the island. As you can see it was pretty crowded but we walked a little further and found an adult only beach. I could have sworn I had pictures of it, but apparently not. The water was so calm, the beach was not crowded - it was fantastic!


The third stop on the cruise was Nassau which is the Capital and largest city of the Bahamas. We all did a one day excursion at the Atlantis Resort and it was, to say the least, AMAZING!
Atlantis has everything! A water park, beaches, pools, shopping, lots of restaurants, etc. You could go there for an entire week and never leave the resort. We had so much fun! We started out at the water park and ventured on the many slides they offer.

The first slide we did was The Falls which starts with a 58' drop to the ground level then propels you up through a water roller coaster of twisting tubes. Katie made fun of me for screaming the whole time but I couldn't help it - it was scary and fun at the same time! (All of the slide pics are from the Atlantis website)

Next AB and I did the Jungle which I read just on their website geared more toward kids. We were in a line to do another slide but I chickened out and moved over to this slide. Everyone assured me it was just twists and not scary. Um well not so much for me! I felt like I was going way too fast! I was trying everything I could to slow down but the water was just rocketing me through there. AB on the other hand almost came to a complete stop twice and not realizing this, the workers let the person behind him go. As soon as he finished a girl came barreling down and smacked him in the head! Poor guy - I guess he was just too big for the slide ;)

After AB and I finished up at the kid's slide, we went and watched Katie and Tommy go down the Leap of Faith which is a 60ft almost-vertical drop into a clear tunnel submerged in a shark tank! This is the one we were in line for but can you blame me for chickening out? Yikes!

Then we separated the men from the boys and while Katie and Tommy went on to do more slides, AB and I (being the boys) headed over to the lazy river. The lazy river also had some rapids which was a lot of fun!
After we were tired of the river we headed over to the Grotto pool, one of many pools, and hung out by the waterfall.

In between all the water park action, the four of us did wander around the grounds and we also went to the two aquariums included in our day pass.

This was a pretty fountain we passed.

I think this is the largest sting ray I have ever seen
Lots of fish
The sea horses almost look fake!
Glow in the dark jelly fish
A creepy eel

A fun bridge we walked across

AB and I at Atlantis - such a fun day!
Just to prove we clean up nice - I included a picture of us at dinner that evening :)
I have to say my favorite day was our stop in Nassau at the Atlantis Resort. We had so much fun and I would definitely go back to Atlantis for a vacation, like I mentioned you would never need to leave the resort!

3 comments:

  1. So I was talking to Mindy today and she was telling me they went to the Atlantis for work a few years ago. In passing she mentioned they ALL came home with big bites!!!! So weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all of your vacation pictures! I probably would chicken out on the slides too. I could never do the slides with big drops when I was a kid and I am not MORE brave now. I'm glad you all had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo fun! I visited th Atlantis a few years ago On a trip to Nassau, but we just got massages and drinks. Clearly we should have hit up the slides! I'm all for rides and roller coasters, but i probably would have skipped that drop slide too! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete