Sunday, February 6, 2011

Soups



All of this frigid weather puts me in the mood for soup so I thought I would share a couple of good soup recipes with you.

The first one is a recipe from my mom and is one of my all time favorites. It has so much flavor!

Italian Sausage Soup
Ingredients:
1 to 1 1/2 lbs Italian Sausage (I actually use pork sausage because I don't like Italian)
1/2 C. chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 16 oz. can Italian style tomatoes
3 14 oz. cans beef broth
1 1/2 C. red wine
1 Tbsp Basil
1/2 tsp pepper
2 medium zucchini, peeled and diced
1 1/2 C. small pasta
Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
In sauce pan brown the meat then drain.
Add onions and garlic and cook until tender.
Add tomatoes, beef broth, wine, basil, pepper and zucchini. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add pasta then cover and simmer for 20 more minutes
Serve topped with Parmesan cheese

The end result - delicious!






I pulled the next recipe off the package of Reames egg noodles. Reames egg noodles are the closest thing I've found to homemade and I was not disappointed with this recipe.

Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
Ingredients:
1 16 oz package Reames Egg Noodles
4 cups sliced carrots
1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless cooked chicken breasts, cut into cubes
7 cups water
3 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon granules (I used 3 cubes)
1 1/2 cups sliced celery
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk, divided

Preparation:
In a large pot, add chicken, water, parsley, thyme, pepper, bouillon and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add noodles, carrots, celery and onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat and cover; simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until done.
Meanwhile, in a liquid-tight container, combine 1 cup of milk and flour; shake well until smooth. Add to noodle mixture with remaining 3 cups milk. Continue cooking over medium heat until thickened and heated through.


I took this picture from the Reames website. Mine looked a lot creamier and thicker than this.

Stay warm everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. You so had me at soup. And even though the warmer weather is around the corner down here in Houston, I will be cooking these this week!

    ReplyDelete