Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Cold Winter's Night

Hello friends.  How was your weekend?  Are you watching the Grammy Awards like I am?  Watching the Grammy's makes me want to be a back up dancer!  I wouldn't really want the spotlight/fishbowl that comes with being a star.  A backup dancer on the other hand can enjoy the benefits of stardom without the fame.  Not to mention I'd have a killer body and everyone would want me to dance at parties, weddings, etc because of my awesome dance moves.

Back to reality!  I want to share a baked potato soup recipe that is just perfect for a cold winter's night such as this.  You can make it on the stove or in the slow cooker.  I opt for slow cooker because I love being able to dump all the ingredients into a pot and go.  The best part is - no peeling potatoes!  I found the recipe on my all recipes app.

Creamy Potato Soup

Ingredients

  • 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 5 large potatoes, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

Directions

  1. Place bacon and onion in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until bacon is evenly brown and onions are soft. Drain off excess grease.
  2. Transfer the bacon and onion to a slow cooker, and stir in chicken broth, water, potatoes, salt, dill weed, and white pepper. Cover, and cook on Low 6 to 7 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and half-and-half. Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk. Cover, and cook another 30 minutes before serving.

I didn't add my bacon until the very end because I wanted it to stay crispy.  I also garnished it with cheese.   Super yummy!



I hope you all are keeping cozy like these two fur balls on this chilly night!

2 comments: