Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Accomplishments & New Goals for 2012

My biggest accomplishment of 2011 was passing the CPA exam!  In the words of my niece Lilly, I won my test!  I do feel like I've won my life back, I'm not going to know what to do with all this free time. I have a few things I have to do before it becomes official but the hardest part is out of the way.

Another accomplishment I'm proud of is I stopped talking on my phone while driving.  After AB almost killed us a few times by pulling into traffic while on his cell phone I decided I needed to lead by example.  I can't say that I NEVER do it but the majority of the time I let the call go to voicemail and return the call when I get to my destination.  I've even pulled over before if I thought it was important and couldn't wait.  I'm happy to say AB has followed suit except for those darn work calls - he probably would have taken a work call during our wedding ceremony had he gotten one.

I definitely have some goals for 2012 and hopefully putting them out here will force me to stick to them:

1) Get organized - we have several closets and drawers that need to be cleaned out and then organized.  Ashley's post really inspired me and my new found free time should help me to accomplish this goal.

2) Run a race - whether it's a 5K, 10 mile or 1/2 marathon I'd really want to get back into running and I think signing up for a race will force me to do it.

3) Get back into cooking - this is something I enjoy but gave up while studying for the exam.  I'd like to eat in more and cook more as opposed to heating frozen meals in the oven.

4) Go on a spending freeze - eek!  this is going to be a tough one but my goal is to give up buying things for myself for the first three months of the year.  Things include clothes, shoes and decorative items for the house.  I will still buy gifts for others, food and toiletries.  I feel like I have everything I need so this shouldn't be hard but I imagine it will be a lot like giving up Facebook - I will have withdrawals at first but after awhile it will feel good.

Speaking of Facebook I'm thinking of getting back on (this is not a 2012 goal by the way).  I have some hesitation but I miss seeing everyone's kids and the fact is, it's just how people communicate these days.  I've enjoyed being unconnected and I would recommend everyone try a detox from social media even if it's for a week...it's pretty liberating!

I hope 2012 is a good year, especially for my husband.  2011 wasn't the greatest year for him for multiple reasons so I really hope 2012 holds great things for him!!  Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for organization! Best of luck getting the closets in order. I want to run a 5K too. I'm tempted to start with the "Couch to 5K" program again. I bet if I ran instead of reading Facebook, I'd be in tip-top shape in no time. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me your spending freeze doesn't include eating out. Because if so I think you are officially trying to not be my friend :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great goals! I would really like to run a race too maybe I need to follow your lead & then just sign up for one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well your closets and drawers look amazing. So...when you are done at your house I need your help in getting rid of stuff in our basement because I know that you will be tough in making me do what must be done.
    I hear OKC has a nice run/race around the anniversary of the bombing. A patient told me she had done it and it was the most amazing experience with much community involvement.
    I've called my similar goal a "spending diet" not a freeze but I think we are both influenced by our respective professions.
    Your goals are truly inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete